CAF – Your financial support

We have good news for you. As a student in France you can get a financial support (Caisses d’Allocations Familiales, CAF). It is the housing benefit paid by the French government. And the best is whenever you are a native or international student, you can apply for CAF. You should be able to receive CAF residing in any type of accommodation (flat, room or shared accommodation). However, you need to be the contracted tenant.

You should consider that it will take time to approve the file. The reason is that the administrative process is much slower. Therefore, you should apply or it right after your arrival in France. In this way you can make sure you don’t have to to wait very long for your payment. In general, several documents are required to begin the application. We made a list for you to give you an overview.

These are the documents you need to apply:

  • A copy of your passport and your visa
  • Your birth certificate (it has to be translated to french)
  • A french bank account (RIB)
  • Your housing contract

Submit the photocopy of all these documents in the CAF office and within a few days, you will receive the allocation number. This is the permanent number to access your CAF account.

If you receive any notification from CAF on your mail or email, we recommend you to directly visit the office. In this way you can check with them what document they need and you can fix the problem faster. This is much better than waiting for a solution for a week or even longer via mail or email.

The office in Clermont is located in Rue PĂ©lissier, 63000 Clermont-Ferrand and is open from Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm.

We think it is a really cool thing to get a financial support from the government in France, even if you are not French.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *